With the rise of digital media, lawyers must learn how to employ attorney marketing and law firm promotion tactics to reach potential clients. Law firm advertising can inform potential clients about a lawyer’s services and help to build brand recognition. According to statistics, the number of attorneys engaging in law firm advertising has climbed by more than 50%.
Furthermore, studies show that lawyers who market their services are more successful than those who do not. Lawyers can use advertising to reach new audiences, strengthen relationships with existing customers, and generate more referrals.
A brief glance at the American Bar Association’s Standard Rules of Professional Conduct would lead you to believe that the regulations governing attorney advertisements are simple. We’ve included some pointers to assist you to connect your marketing approach with the American Bar Association’s regulations.
- Using the Term ‘Expert’ When Advertising Your Law Firm
Even if you’re pleased with your law firm’s success, claiming to be an “expert” or “specialist” without proper certificates is usually against the law. According to ABA Rule 7.2, lawyers should not indicate that they specialize in a practice area unless they have been certified by an ABA-accredited body allowed by their state, district, or U.S. territory.
In California, for example, a legal specialist must have practised law consistently for a certain number of years, with a particular portion of that time dedicated to practising that speciality.
- Keep Away from Solicitation
The ABA Rule 7.3 focuses on the solicitation of clients by attorneys. If a lawyer or legal firm has a substantial financial stake, live, the one-on-one conversation can’t be used to seek professional employment. Whether the contact is with a lawyer or someone with a familial, close personal, or past business or professional tie with the attorney or law firm, the circumstance changes.
Nonetheless, the prohibition remains if the individual fits into the second category but has expressed a desire not to be solicited by the attorney or if the scenario involves coercion, duress, or harassment. The rule does not ban communications that are mandated by law or by a court or tribunal.
- Advertising your firm places you in front of prospective clients who may not be familiar with your practice but require your services, thereby reaching new audiences and increasing traffic.
- Promoting your services might assist existing clients in locating you when they require legal counsel or assistance with a legal matter. This enables you to capitalize on existing relationships and convert them into repeat clients, thereby increasing the number of quality leads.
- Law firm advertising also offers the ability to enhance revenue and return on investment. Stopping advertising from saving money is like stopping your watch from saving time. Hence, if you cease advertising, you will no longer generate a profit, no longer receive leads, and your exposure will decline.
- With sophisticated analytics tools to assess website traffic and conversions, law firm advertising is simple to track and evaluate. This assists you in determining where and how to invest your resources to achieve optimal effectiveness.
Our team at Simulas has vast experience guiding large and small law firms through intricate law firm advertising. From content production to online presence management, we offer individualized solutions that meet your specific demands. Contact our team at (408) 715-3635.